Thursday, August 2, 2012

10 Ways to Decorate on a Budget

I was originally going to label this post as "10 Ways to Decorate When You're Poor." But poor just has the awful connotation, like you're living in a mud hut. The word "budget" makes me feel like I'm effortlessly chic about balancing my budget, and that really, if I wanted to spend money I could, but I'm that other cool word: "frugal." In truth, Eddie and I have our heads just above the American poverty line. No hyperbole. But this post isn't about me asking for sympathy. Actually, I'm going to show you how I made whatever "budget" we had, feel rich. Instead of daydreaming about that water slide going through my dining room (that I saw on Pinterest of course!), I started daydreaming about things within my reach. Things I could make happen today. Is this sounding like some Joel Osteen speech? Okay Here's the big TEN:

1. Beg mom and dad for that old "X" that they don't use any more. Coffee table with a few scratches? We can fix that. French Armour sitting in the garage? Don't mind if I do. If your mom and dad are loving people, they'll probably say sure. If not, you should rebel. Open up a World of Warcraft account to live out your vicarious anger. 

2. Decide what style you want to decorate in and then start looking through Craigslist. Interested in french doors? Don't search using the text, "doors." Instead, use the word "French." You're more likely to find what you're looking for and find other nifty, related things for your apartment. Also, take all precautions when using Craigslist. That place is crawling with weirdos just ready for you to come take a look at that bike. And really, I don't want the guilt weighing on me when you are the next inspiration for a Stephen King novel. 

3. Auctions. This is going to get stressful really quickly. Once, I was bidding on a small, baby piano. I wanted to use it for a night stand. The guy bidding against me had a kid with him. Yes, a small child wrapped around his leg with big puppy dog eyes, ready to swell if he didn't get his piano. There's a small voice in your soul that says, "Oh, give the sweet little boy his piano." SQUASH THAT VOICE. You are there to win! Don't take no for an answer! You are going to get meaner than a soccer mom on Christmas fighting for a tickle-me Elmo. Just to throw in some impractical advice, decide how much you want to spend on each item before hand so you stay within your limit while bidding. 

4. Flea Markets. Never act like you're overly interested. Just sort of run your hand through the film of dirt on objects and casually say, "hm, how much is this?" Here's something I have noticed about Americans. They never haggle down a price with a vendor. Now some places are inappropriate to haggle (i.e.: haggling the price of fruit in a Piggly Wiggly. Not okay). Also, my friend is an Etsy shop owner and hates hagglers. Flea Markets are an okay place to haggle. They're trying to get rid of that crap, aren't they?

5. Garage/Yard Sales. These people are definitely trying to get rid of this crap. At this point, you're pretty much stealing it. Please note: I have pulled up to a yard and started browsing said crap when I very awkwardly realized none of it was for sale. So please, double check it's a yard sale and not some messy yard. 

6. Pinterest. See something cool? Make it yourself. Some Pinterest pictures will link back to the original blog to show you a tutorial. Take advantage of that. You can usually make something cheaper than if you would just buy it, but don't take DIY too far. You'll wind up owning alpacas to sheer for your cotton to make your own shirts. 

7. Search Ebay/Etsy for the stuff you can't make. Sometimes you can find a good bargain. People are competing with other people to sell the same product. Ayn Rand will tell you how this is suppose to be a win-win for you. 

8. Goodwill and Salvation Army. This can be hit or miss. Right now, vintage is in, so this place is to your benefit. The perks: cheap, old cool stuff. The downside: you're subconscious is like "this place is for the poor-poor. I mean, this circa 1960s kitchen table could be used in some one's mud hut." Squash the voice out, too. 

9. Ask your friends and coworkers for specific items. I don't mean that you should demand that swivel chair from your cubicle friend, but just throw it out in the lunch room. Example: "Hey, you guys wouldn't know where I could get a sweeper on the cheap, do you?" Someone always has an extra sweeper. 

10. If all else fails, get married. Okay, so I really didn't have ten ways. Just nine. But ten sounds better. Right? Okay, okay, go to Ikea or Target as a last ditch effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment