Tuesday, August 7, 2012

5 Ways to Break Through Writer's Block

I'm no J.K. Rowling, so consider this amateur writer's block. Heck, I haven't even produced one grocery store novel to rival that of Mister Sparks. Not that it would be hard to rival Sparks due to his over used formulaic writing: Two people that can never fall in love. You'll never guess what happens?! They fall in love. Then, like out of nowhere, there's this obstacle. And then someone gets cancer or Alzheimer's Disease and dies. The End! I read "The Notebook," and then decided I could write a better book by dumping alphabet soup all over my printer paper. If you're Nicholas Sparks, reading this post, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that your work is kitschy. I know what you're thinking, "Her soul is so cold!" Not true. I like a good, depressing novel that makes my waterworks go off. In fact, I even recommend my favorite downers, such as "The Grapes of Wrath" or "First They Killed My Father." That last title is misleading because they kill the girl's sibling first. I digress. 

1. Start describing someone's features. While in conversation with a stranger, maybe your barista or mailman, start describing their features, in your head. If you start saying these things out loud, you'll land yourself in the nut house. Here's an example of descriptive thinking: "Below his off center, angular nose was a slender cigarette perched between his plump lips. His tattooed arm comes up to smear the sweat on his forehead." I know the book, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" says you're suppose to intently listen to every word to become a true listener, but what I'm saying is, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" isn't going to help break your writer's block. Make your descriptions better than actually seeing. 

2. Go for a drive on a county road listening to The Wailin' Jennys. Even if you're not writing for pleasure, this is one of the most enjoyable, relaxing activities to do. This usually calms me down, and allows me to be creative. I feel like some of my most creative ideas are made in the car. The same can be said for running or taking your dog for a walk. 

3. Start Eavesdropping. Listen to a conversation and try to make guesses of what might actually be going on in their lives. Be creative. I always wondered if this is how Hemingway came up with "Hills Like White Elephants." Please Note: Try not to be too obvious. Also, give this a reverse try. Allow people to only hear part of your conversation. Example: Get on elevator and say, "Where do you think we can hide it?" "Maybe we can cut it up?" "Ugh. I liked the lake plan better." Keep a straight face. This last part of advice has nothing to do with writing and is all for laughs. 

4. Start writing everyday. Even if you're writing in little bits and pieces in a Moleskine you keep next to your lamp, you're making progress. You can tell yourself you want to be a mechanic, but if you never have the gall to open up the hood of a car you won't get there. It's the same with writing. Just jump in and try. Put the perfectionism aside. You're not going to crank out seven books about a wizard. Make baby step goals that are more achievable. 

5. You'll never be a great writer if you don't keep reading. That's advice from Stephen King. I would also add that you'll only be as great as the books you read. Keep reading Ol' Sparks, and you might loose your flair for creativity. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post. I agree with all of the tips, but my heart especially goes out to the last one!

    ReplyDelete